About the Alliance
The CSA Alliance was formed to aid and assist our Black, Indigenous, and casting professionals of color and their visibility in our industry through our CSA/CSC programs, training and education, social media and more, where historically underrepresented casting professionals in have felt excluded from participation or unable to qualify for membership. Working closely with the CSA Board of Directors and its programs and initiatives, we are focusing on the greatest needs of our community and organization, to address the issues in “our house” and shine a light and elevate underrepresented casting professionals and their contribution to the craft of casting. The CSA Alliance is actively reviewing our organization's practices and advising our Board of Directors, Board of Governors and all chairs of committees on how we can continue to enact a more equitable and inclusive CSA. If you are a member of underrepresented community and would like to join the CSA Alliance, please connect.
Angela Mickey, Mayank Bhatter, Angelique Midthunder, Caroline Liem, Cesar Rocha, Destiny Lilly, Erica Hart, Julia Kim, Kim Coleman, Kim Hardin, Leah Daniels-Butler, Nicole Hilliard-Forde, Sarah Raoufpur, Stephanie Yankwitt, Tracy Twinkie Byrd, Victor Vazquez, Zora DeHorter
We’re excited to invite you to our symposium on casting. Meet casting professionals from all genres of casting and learn about what we do.
This conversation is open to anyone who has ever thought about casting as a profession and for those who have started their casting journey and wish to widen their circle.
For those applying the Alliance Mentorship Program, this is required viewing prior to applying. This symposium will be recorded.
RSVP is required and will be posted soon. Details, including day/time and RSVP for the symposium will be posted soon.
Contact email@example.com for further information.
CSA ACTIONABLE GOALS
ALLIANCE Casting Professional Listing, sponsored by the CSA Alliance
In response to the inquiries received about creating visibility and outreach; identifying the number of casting professionals across all mediums and levels; and creating awareness within the community, the Alliance created this voluntary list. It is available as a resource. Participation is optional.
If you’re interested in being part of this list, please share your information here.
If you are an industry professional and wish to receive a copy of the list, email your request to Alliance@
- The Alliance formed.
- The Alliance held 8 small group conversations with member and non-member casting professionals from underrepresented groups, including casting executives, casting directors, associate casting directors and assistants, to allow them to speak freely and openly about the issues they have faced throughout their careers and as they continue to navigate in their profession. This safe space helped to create actionable steps for the CSA as we move forward with our goal of creating equity for our members.
- The CSA Alliance Mentorship Program launched on September 2 to lay a stronger foundation for the future of casting directors of all backgrounds in our industry. The mentorship program prioritized BIPOC mentees and encouraged them to be specific in what they were looking for in a mentor, especially gender and cultural background.
- In collaboration with the Casting Society Cares Training & Education Program and CSA’s Equity In Entertainment, we are creating bridges with HBCU’s and high school arts programs to spread the word about the casting profession and its value to the industry.
- We are working with the CSA Board of Directors and its Officers on actionable goals, and code of conduct to change the culture and structure of the organization.
- Launched Closer to Equity (C2E), a series of virtual conversations designed to amplify CSA members and non-members of underrepresented groups in the casting industry. With the intent of meaningful dialogue, we look forward to bringing you Spotlight conversations designed for understanding, belonging, and how we can all start to create and propel actionable change in our community.
- Our first conversation, CLOSER TO EQUITY: Spotlight on BIPOC Casting Professionals was held on October 15. The panel discussion looked at the experience of Casting Directors of underrepresented groups in the industry across all mediums and levels. The need for this panel was made abundantly clear after several small group discussions coordinated by the CSA Alliance for underrepresented groups of casting professionals to share their experiences and discuss the hurdles they have faced throughout their careers.
Dr. Darnisa Amante-Jackson moderated this panel discussion. An educational and racial equity strategist who is deeply committed to the study of culture, innovation, and adult development, Dr. Amante-Jackson’s work with the Disruptive Equity Education Project (DEEP) “creates space and experiences that foster conversations around equity and dismantling systemic oppression and racism in pursuit of advancing equitable outcomes for ALL.”
Panelists for this event included Angelique Midthunder (Casting Director, Big Kill), Erica Jensen (Casting Director, Broadway shows A Raisin In The Sun, Hedwig), Kim Montelibano Heil (Producer & Casting Director, San Diego Repertory Theatre), Kim M Williams (Vice President, Casting,Touchstone Television), Margie Vargas (Casting Associate, Kidding, Blindspotting), Xavier Rubiano (Casting Associate, Broadway shows Dear Evan Hansen, Phantom of the Opera), and Zora DeHorter (Casting Director, 12 to Midnight, Shadow Wolves).
Attendance for this virtual event: 585 casting professionals.
- Announcement of CSA Board of Directors commitment to Actionable Goals to provide a path toward equity for our organization; to address the systemic issues and make the overdue changes we all wish to see. View the Actionable Goals HERE.
- Encore presentation of CLOSER TO EQUITY: Spotlight on BIPOC Casting Professionals was streamed over a 3 day period with viewership numbering 20% of virtual attendees.
- Announcement. Dr. Darnisa Amante-Jackson will present her Keynote this December.
- In collaboration with Casting Society Cares we welcome back Dr. Darnisa Amante-Jackson for her keynote address, A DEEP DIVE INTO CASTING: How To Be Better Co-conspirators to Marginalized Communities. This keynote address follows our recent panel and encore viewings of CLOSER TO EQUITY: Spotlight on BIPOC Casting Professionals moderated by Dr. Amante- Jackson. This vital conversation takes a look at issues “currently affecting the diversity, belonging, equity and inclusion for underrepresented actors and casting professionals”.
- In support of the CSA Initiative for underrepresented actors we collaborated with the CSA and Equity In Entertainment in the Town hall for Black Actors.
- The Alliance Casting Professional Listing including underrepresented casting professionals is available.
- In support of the CSA Initiative for underrepresented actors we collaborated with the CSA and Equity In Entertainment in the Open Call for Black Actors.
- CSA Alliance. Closer To Equity: Sharing Our Asian Experiences - A conversation with Asian Casting Directors will be available for viewing in May.
- In collaboration with Equity In Entertainment, we are prepping multiple live and recorded events around Deconstructing the Asian Monolith. If you would like to participate or help coordinate please connect Alliance@castingsociety.com.
- May 3 - Town Hall: Deconstructing the Asian Monolith - The State of our Industry
- May 7 - Closer To Equity: Sharing Our Asian Experiences - A conversation with Asian Casting Directors
- May 12 - Closer to Equity: Global Lightning Talks - Casting Directors
- May 17 - Live Town Hall: Deconstructing the Asian Monolith - Equity and Opportunity for Asian Casting Directors and Actors
- May 24 - Closer To Equity: Deconstructing the Asian Monolith | Television Round table
- May 26 - Closer To Equity: Deconstructing the Asian Monolith | Feature Film Round table
- May 28 - Closer To Equity: Deconstructing the Asian Monolith | Theatre Round table
- November 5-6-7 - Global Open Call for Asian Actors.